Digital marketing is essential to your overall success as a website or online business owner. Digital marketing can be attempted by anyone, however proper digital marketing that drives results can only be done by experts or those who have implemented a powerful digital marketing strategy. If you want to improve your marketing efforts and drive more traffic and conversions from your site, then this expert guide will give you the key tips on how you can develop a powerful digital marketing strategy that drives results.
Key Steps To A Powerful Digital Marketing Strategy
- Understand What You Want From Your Strategy
Before you get down to the marketing side of your strategy, you first need to understand what you want from it, and set up your objectives. Some ways to complete this task is to:
- Define what the mission/objective of your business is and how you can create your digital marketing strategy to fit within this plan.
- What is the overall goal objective that you would like for your digital marketing strategy to achieve? More conversions, traffic, sales, profits etc.?
Once you have a baseline for your digital marketing strategy, you then need to set and measure your KPIs. In order to do this, you will need to:
- Identify the right method/tool to help you measure your KPIs more effectively. Tools such as Google Analytics can help to measure your social media analytics, conversions, bounce rate and other important data that will help you to see whether your strategy is working or not.
- Get a current reading of your KPIs as they stand now by analysing your current marketing plan and efforts. This will help to create a baseline of what is working and what isn’t now so you don’t set your expectations too high.
- Set up new figures on what you want to achieve so you can work towards these and be held accountable.
Once you have prepared this you’ll be able to move onto the next stage.
In order to improve on what you currently have, you need to work on what wasn’t working in the first place. It’s a good idea to analyse your previous strategy more closely to work out the best route to take to improve your efforts. You can analyse your previous marketing strategy by:
- Analysing Google Analytics across a specific time-frame that’s relevant to your current time. See what was done during this time and work on ways you can either change or improve the marketing effort you’ve implemented.
- Analyse what your competition is doing and create your own spreadsheet of what they’re doing to what you’re doing. This will help to give you a good idea of which marketing efforts work best on your target audience. Don’t forget to include paid traffic, keywords, or traditional marketing channels.
By analysing your past it will help you learn from previous mistakes of where you went wrong.
- Analyse Your Target Audience
Analysing your target audience can be done by segmenting them into different groups. The key traits that you need to consider when segmenting include:
- Geographic locations
Each main trait category can be based on the following information.
- Family size
- Marital status
- Opinions and attitudes
- Benefits sought
- Stages of change
- Frequency of behaviour
- Readiness to change
- Consistency of behaviour
- Relevant behaviour
- Duration of behaviour
When this is done you’ve narrowed down and found your target audience that you can build you’re marketing efforts towards. The follow is an example of what you should see when you’ve done your segmentation.
|Women||20-30 yearsFashion Enthusiasts||SydneyPerth
|Wants to become a modelWants to become a fashion designer
Dreams of living the celebrity life
Willing to purchase more expensive clothing
Loves to go clothes shopping
Enjoys partying and staying up late
Enjoys visiting the more expensive places around the world.
Confident and outgoing
- Select The Right Marketing Channels
When you’ve worked out your goals, analysed your competition and your current marketing plan, along with finding out who your target audience is you then need to work out which marketing channels would be best suited to reach them the best. You can do this by:
- Working out your budget and how much you can afford to spend on marketing.
- Review your current marketing channels and decide which ones are making money and wasting money. The ones you haven’t received much gain from, you should cut ties and focus your efforts on the ones that are making you money.
- Work out what each channel is trying to achieve.
- Ensure you’re able to measure your efforts in a productive way.
You’ll find that you’ll try a few new marketing channels as a test run to see whether you drive more traffic and conversions back to your business. Once you have found and implemented your marketing strategy and its efforts it’s important to closely watch it over the next few weeks to decide whether to continue to place money into it.
Building a digital marketing strategy is all about analysing yourself as a business, your competition, your current marketing strategy and your target audience to gain the best results. Don’t forget to continue to analyse and review your strategy over time as this will help you to improve your efforts greatly for better results. Are you ready to build a powerful digital marketing strategy?